Friday 14 December 2012

Review of 'Magyk'

A week ago I started (and finished!!) reading the big 564 paged novel 'Magyk'.It is the first book in the series of Septimus Heap written by Angie Sage, illustrated by Mark Zug.

Now I know, the first thing that comes into your mind when you see the book is that the title is spelled incorrectly. That is where you are wrong. Magyk and Magic are two very different things. For one, Magic is the art while Magyk is a type of Magic. Nevertheless, I'll leave the explaining to Sage.

Magyk is a fantasy book, and is about numerous things. It is not focusing one one story but dealing with three-four things at once, and can be confusing at times. Who is Septimus Heap? What is he? Is he alive? Who is the Princess? Will she survive? How come the Princess is a secret?...are few of the questions you deal with.

To tell you the truth, I didn't like the book too much, it was all too pulling on for me. It could have its bit of shortening. Another thing was that it was quite predictable...but I think inexperienced readers would have a little trouble foretelling the end.

All in all, the book was interesting but lengthy, suitable for all children above 12  years of age.I hope you like Magyk good enough to read the next book in the series, which is 'Flyte'.

No comments:

Post a Comment